Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Favorite Meatloaf

I have always loved Mom's meatloaf but just can't ever make it just like hers. Several years ago, though, I came across this recipe for meatloaf and have made it my own. I honestly cannot remember the original source...it may have been one of those things you get in the mail to try to get you to sign up for more. I have always enjoyed this meatloaf and it is now our family favorite. The night I made this, I also make garlic mashed potatoes, black eyed peas (which I just love to eat with mashed potatoes), and roasted asparagus.

I apologize for the pictures. I forgot all about taking pictures until after we had eaten and I was putting away the leftovers. Oops...

And, I LOVE asparagus!!


YUM - 5 stars - Absolutely love this not-your-typical meatloaf! And it isn't spicy at all even though the name and some of the ingredients might make you think it will be.

EASE - 4.5 stars - A little more work goes into this one than your normal meatloaf.

HEALTH - ?? - I don't have a clue.

Cajun Meatloaf

Ingredients
* 1 medium onion
* 1 Tbsp veg. oil
* 4 cloves garlic
* 3 Tbsp chili powder
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp paprika
* pinch of cayenne pepper
* 1 cup tomato juice
* 1 lb ground beef (I used lean)
* 1 lb ground pork
* 2 slices bread, torn in pieces
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coarsely chop the onion. In a large skillet, warm the oil over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, salt, paprika, and cayenne. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened but not browned, about 10 min. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the tomato juice and set the mixture aside to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, combine the beef and pork. Add the bread, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, hot pepper sauce, and onion mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly. Place the mixture in a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Or place the mixture on a foil-lined baking sheet and form it into a 9x5 inch loaf. Bake for 55 minutes (I check the internal temp and usually cook it about 10 minutes longer than this). Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

For the asparagus, I lined a cookie sheet with foil, drizzled the asparagus with olive oil, sprinkled with lemon pepper, and baked at 400 until tender.

For the mashed potatoes, I added a clove of garlic per potato to the boiling potatoes and mashed them with milk, salt, and butter to taste.

Now that is my kind of meal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment