Thursday, March 25, 2010

#11 - Freezer Biscuits

Wow, I haven't been keeping up this week. We've been having some sleepless nights and sickies around here and now I'm trying to eliminate gassy foods from my diet to see if it helps my youngest (who is still nursing) to sleep better. This led me to FINALLY make a batch of freezer biscuits that I've been meaning to make for 2 weeks now. I LOVE this recipe and make it so often that I'm about to type it from memory. :)

YUM - 5 stars - I have always loved eating biscuits and honey (mixed with butter) for breakfast. Freezer biscuits are by far my favorite and this is my favorite recipe.

EASE - 3 stars - I think it is very easy but some of you out there are probably not "bakers" and will find this one not so easy if you don't have a good mixer. I highly recommend using a good mixer for this.

HEALTH - I'm not sure what to put here. They're not bad for you but it's not a health food either. :) So somewhere in the middle. Plus, it really depends on what you eat them with...if anything.

Freezer Biscuits
Source - My Mom! Love her! I'm not sure of the original source but this is my Mom and Grandmother's recipe.

Ingredients
5 cups of all purpose flour (I recommend Gold Medal)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup shortening (I use 3/4 cup to keep them a little more firm)
2 pkgs yeast (I use the yeast that comes in a jar... so that is 4 1/2 tsp)
1/4 cup warm water (I use between 1/4 and 1/3 cup...it's hard to mix the yeast in only 1/4 cup)
2 cups buttermilk (I use the low fat version)

Mix together the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening (I use the whisk attachment on my mixer). Dissolve yeast in water. (I do this while the shortening is being cut in and I let it sit a little bit so that it dissolves well.) Change out the whisk attachment for the beater. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture. Add buttermilk and beat until incorporated. Change out the beater for the kneading attachment and let the mixer knead the dough while you prepare your dough board. Turn dough out onto a floured dough board (or clean countertop) and knead lightly. Roll out to about 3/4 - 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits and put them on a pan that can be placed in your freezer. Once the biscuits are frozen, you can store them in a large ziploc bag in your freezer.

When you are ready to use them, I suggest that you put the desired number of biscuits in a pan and set them in the fridge overnight to thaw. However, many times I forget to do this and just thaw them in the microwave. It works just as well just be careful not to overdo it. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. YUM YUM YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment