Thursday, March 18, 2010

#8 - Thai-Style Pork Stew

Our church had a pastor's conference today and the ladies of our church provided lunch which consisted of soup, sandwiches, salad, and dessert. I took this "stew" and rice to serve with it. I should mention that I doubled the recipe but kept the 8hr cook time and it turned out a bit dry (my crock pot cooks a little hot, I think) so I ended up adding a bit more teriyaki sauce, vinegar, and chicken bouillon. If I were to make this again, I would try it exactly as the recipe says and cut back on the cook time.

YUM - 5 stars - I LOVED it. It's a bit spicy and has peanut butter in it so that gives it a nutty flavor also. You're supposed to serve it with peanuts and green onions on top and a slice of lime. I had bought a couple of limes but accidentally left them at home. :( Oh, and I got several complements...even from a certain picky eater I know. :)

EASE - 5 stars - SO easy. It is another crock-pot meal with very little prep. It takes 8 hrs in the crock pot.

HEALTHY - 5 stars - Guess what...It's a Cooking Light recipe! :-O

Thai-Style Pork Stew
Source: Cooking Light on www.myrecipes.com


Ingredients

* Stew:
* 2 pounds boned pork loin, cut into 4 pieces
* 2 cups (1 x 1/4-inch) julienne-cut red bell pepper
* 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
* 2 tablespoons rice or white wine vinegar
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
*

Remaining ingredients:
* 6 cups hot cooked basmati rice
* 1/2 cup chopped green onions
* 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
* 8 lime wedges

Preparation

To prepare stew, trim fat from pork. Place pork and next 5 ingredients (pork through garlic) in an electric slow cooker. Cover with lid, and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker, and coarsely chop. Add peanut butter to liquid in slow cooker; stir well. Stir in pork.

Combine stew and rice in a large bowl. Top each serving with onions and peanuts; serve with lime wedges.
Nutritional Information

Calories:
412 (30% from fat)
Fat:
13.6g (sat 3.6g,mono 6.2g,poly 2.5g)
Protein:
28.9g
Carbohydrate:
42.3g
Fiber:
2.1g
Cholesterol:
64mg
Iron:
2.9mg
Sodium:
425mg
Calcium:
37mg

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment